El Nino Winter Forecasted for This Season
Weather centers are forecasting a high probability of having winter storms affected by El Nino.
El Nino Influences 2018-2019 Winter
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), El Nino is an "an ocean-atmosphere climate interaction that is linked to the periodic warming in sea surface temperatures in the central and eastern equatorial Pacific". There is a 70 to 75 percent chance of El Nino developing in the late fall to early winter.
NOAA predicts that wetter-than-average conditions are favored across the southern tier of the United States. Go to NOAA
for more 2018-2019 winter weather predictions. New York has already received 4 to 8 inches of snow with the November 15-16 snow storm. Colorado received enough early-season snow for 13 ski resorts to open early. A percentage of warmer-than-average temperatures will accompany El Nino. This increases the chances of freezing rain as the temperature falls below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heavy snowfall and ice storms result in automobile accidents which can down power poles. Trees reach their weight limit and topple on power lines. Winter power outages can be extremely dangerous to residents and businesses that are not prepared. The loss of power can shutter industries. It is advisable to prepare for a winter power outage. Some steps are:
- Obtain an alternate heat source that does not require electricity for area heat and keep a supply of warm blankets
- Keep a supply of clean water because water lines can freeze during outages
- Have an alternate cooking method - hot meals are imperative when facilities are cooling due to outside temperatures
- Keep flashlights and plenty of batteries - candles and oil lamps are an option for extended outages because they produce a small amount of heat
The above list of steps is minimal for cold weather preparation. Many steps can be added to accommodate individual requirements of a residence/small business. Larger industries should have occupation-dependent backup power requirements.
Emergency Generators Provide Needed Power
Backup generators are manufactured in many styles and sizes. Homeowners purchase and utilize small gasoline-fueled units that can be carried to an outside location for operation.
Sometimes industries require an additional power supply during extended outages. Portable diesel units can supply the additional demands. When operating a portable diesel generator make sure to:
- Never operate a generator in an explosive environment
- Always operate the generator with adequate exhaust
- Never fuel a hot generator
- Never connect a load to a running generator
- Always review and follow manufacturer specifications and safety instructions
Facilities and residences that have installed generators should perform planned maintenance on a calendar/generator operating hour schedule. Load testing ensures the generator is ready to assume the load when power fails.
Generator Source has been in the generator business for over 35 years. See Inventory
for a listing of new and used generators of all sizes and styles. We also provide maintenance and troubleshooting services. We can design a maintenance contract for individual needs. Contact Us
for more information.
Diesel Blog Team
| 11/12/2018 3:01:16 PM
| 0 comments