Coronavirus Increases Portable Generator Demand
The Coronavirus is now a pandemic. Power generating plants across the United States are taking precautions to prevent work force illness. Portable generators can supply power needs for utility outages or temporary testing and treatment sites.
Power Stability During COVID-19 Pandemic
The Coronavirus can impact any person on this planet. From technicians who work in power plants to those working on our electrical grid - we must stay safe and take care of each other. As the virus runs its course through the economy there is a possibility companies who generate power and keep the electrical infrastructure in working order could be infected. Xcel Energy of Colorado acknowledges these possible effects this outbreak may have on electrical generation, distribution and repair.
Xcel Energy CEO Ben Fowke published a letter of commitment during this pandemic. Some steps Excel Energy is taking include:
- Maintaining communication with local, state, federal and health agencies to coordinate responses
- Staffing plans in place to ensure power plants and reliable services are available
- No disconnection of service for those who cannot pay bills. Payment plans will be arranged
- Employee travel restrictions in place and work from home programs (where applicable)
- Enhanced cleaning of all facilities
Temporary Treatment Centers
Many states have hot spots that experience high visitor levels. The mountains of Colorado receive visitors from around the world. The towns are small, quaint, and geared toward vacations and tourists. If the virus spread continues, remote treatment centers can be set up for testing and ongoing medical services.
When remote treatment centers are created, it's important they have reliable power. If these locations cannot support their power requirements then additional steps must be taken to provide adequate power. Human lives will depend on effective power supplies to these remote treatment centers. Easy connection and proper operation of a standby generator is imperative. Portable generators offer great solutions for any temporary power needs.
Generator Source has more than 38 years of experience in generator sales, service, and repairs. We offer a turn-key solution for all your power needs. To view our inventory of portable generators, go to Inventory
. Portable generators offer ease of movement from one location to the next. Outdoor generators in sound attenuated enclosures can be used in semi-permanent locations or mounted on a trailer. For any questions go to Contact Us
. This blog will explore the benefits in using a portable generator as your temporary power provider.
Portable Generators for Temporary Power Requirements
Portable generators offer a solution for any temporary power needs you may have. The engine, radiator, alternator (generator end) are mounted on a trailer framework. Fuel tanks will accommodate any engine operational needs.
Portable generators are available in a wide-range of sizes. Remember a generator's capacity and size requirements will affect the best methods of transportation. Below are examples:
- Generators with a capacity of 100 kW use a ball and hitch style connection. Go to FMC Technologies (Kubota) for an example
- Generators with a capacity of above 100 kW to 300 kW can use a ring & pintle style connections. Go to SWP GS220 for an example
- Larger capacity generators from 400 kW to 1000 kW use a 5th wheel connection. Go to Mitsubishi 1000 kW for an example
Ring & pintle style connections used in mid-size portable generators can be used in smaller generator applications as well. These portable generators feature a robust trailer design to allow transport over rougher terrain. They are popular in remote construction sites.
Most of today's generators offer electronic controls. Some generator electronic control packages allow for parallel operation in a multiple generator configuration. Paralleling generators increases capacity while the voltage remains the same.
The enclosure surrounding the generator is commonly sound attenuated. Sound attenuation dampens the sound of the engine and alternator during operation. All portable generators must be parked on a hard level surface. It is good practice to allow space for fueling and operational inspections.
Operating Portable Generators Safely
Following basic setup rules will ensure reliable, safe power is produced from the generator. Below are some considerations:
- Never operate a portable generator indoors. Diesel & Natural Gas (NG) emissions are toxic
- Do not operate a portable generator in an atmosphere contaminated with explosive gases. Engine runaway and gases in the area can ignite
- Never connect or disconnect output cables on a running generator
- Always shutoff the generator engine prior to electrical disconnection or troubleshooting
Always follow the manufacturers recommendations when operating a generator. It is not uncommon to schedule a visual inspection during generator operation. The size of the generator's fuel tank is an important component during the inspection.
As our economy solves the COVID-19 pandemic Generator Source is here to help by providing safe, reliable backup power to our nation's citizens, businesses, and medical facilities.
Diesel Blog Team
| 2/27/2020 4:29:38 PM
| 0 comments