Production equipment and support systems to manufacturer biopharmaceuticals is more advanced than typical industrial manufacturing. The creation process can be considered long term, with some drugs taking up to a year to create. After creation appropriate packaging and storage until shipping can be as critical as the creation process.
If power is lost without emergency power, costs to the production can elevate quickly with losses to batches in creation, packaging and stored product.
Backup Power for Facilities
Biopharmacy manufacturing facilities and processing plants often have a need for an un-interrupted power supply. When utility power is lost, emergency power must be provided quickly to avoid in costly delays in research and production. Drug warehousing and pharmaceutical manufacturing have the same need for slightly different reasons.
To illustrate further, we recently supplied a world-wide biopharmacy client with a Kohler 2000 kW generator set. The generator set pictured to the right is housed in a Sound Attenuated Enclosure. Sound attenuated enclosures are an all in one power generation set providing:
- Enclosure has sound proofing for operation in populated areas
- Cooling system for engine is housed in enclosure
- Fuel tank is double wall constructed and hold up to 2500 gallons of fuel for operation during extend power outages
- Less than 1000 hours operation providing many hours of operation
- Digital control panel to start and monitor functions when commanded
Generator size, ease of operation, and operating hours supplies our customer with reliable emergency power when utility power fails. Natural Gas (NG) generators are an option for facilities that have a ready natural gas supply. These generators offer the same performance as the diesel counterpart but depend on utility gas, which can be interrupted.
This client only required a diesel generator. However, this is not the only component that is required to supply emergency power to a facility. Common requirements are:
- Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) - When power is lost, commands generator start, after generator is online switches power to bus
- Switch Panels - Provide power to various systems. Can be programmable for system isolation during power loss
- Remote Alarm and Monitoring Panels - Supply generator operating and alarm information to manned area
Generator Source can set your facility up with emergency power. Give us a call and we will help from the design stage to final installation.